Recipe: Scalloped Potatoes

My second time ever making scalloped potatoes.   I made some long past when we were first married, but our eating habits changed and I just haven't made them again. 


Ingredients

  • 3 pounds potatoes, thinly sliced
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 9 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
  • 6 tablespoons butter, diced
  • 1 quart whole milk, or as needed (I used about 3.5 cups)

Directions


  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
  2. Arrange one layer of potatoes in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the potatoes with salt and pepper, 3 tablespoons flour, and 2 tablespoons butter. Repeat layering 2 more times, until all of potatoes have been used. Slowly pour milk over the potatoes until the dish is 3/4 full of milk.
  3. Bake until the milk comes to a boil (check after 15 minutes), then reduce heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and bake until potatoes are tender, 45 to 60 minutes more.
 Results:

The lad: "mom!  These are good.  Thanks for cooking this"
Dad ": no onions hun?  But he finished the pot off much to my chagrin.
Mom "I like it, I should make these more often"

2 comments

  1. We enjoy scalloped potatoes but I think we have always included some cheese with them. May need to try without and as much milk as you used and see what we think. I love variations on recipes. - Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you should send me your recipe?

      Delete

Hi! thanks for stopping by. I love comments, it is good to talk with each other eh?