Song Study: I am Not My Own

This is a song produced by Jeremy Zeyl, it is based on the Heidelberg Catechism Lord's Day 1.   But don't let that scare you away.   :)   The song stands on it's own without as a biblically based song, meant for today's congregations. 

At age 21 "I heard Heidelberg Catechism Question and Answer 1 read at a church service. Those words about “my only comfort in life and in death” leapt out at me and inspired me to write the song “Not My Own.” " (source)

Here are the lyrics: 

 



 Verse 1

This my only comfort in my life and in my death
You have fully paid for all my sins and all my debts
With your precious blood you’ve set me free
With your precious blood you’ve set me free

Chorus

I am not my own but belong body and soul
In my life and in death to you Lord, Christ my Lord
Verse 2

You preserve my life in such a way that without you
Not a hair can fall from me unless you will it to
All things work together for my salvation
All things work together for my salvation

Verse 3

Therefore by your Holy Spirit you assure me
Of eternal life and make me willing and ready
From now on to always live for you
From now on to always live for you



This song had my hubby singing out strongly beside me which is unusual with songs that he is not familiar with.  He tends to just listen until he's sure of the tune....but he sang with this one right from the start as loudly as if he'd known it all his life.  :)

No real history to it other then Jeremy is a CRC kid born and raised close to home in London, Ontario.

If you'd like to know more about him, read this interview with Calvin Institute.

8 comments

  1. Haven't heard this one yet, but it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done, Annette. I like these lines in verse 2: You preserve my life in such a way that without you - Not a hair can fall from me unless you will it to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, , jeremy did a great job.

      Delete
  3. Interesting song. Thanks for sharing. - Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an interesting song Lori. I found the tune a bit of a challenge.

      Delete

Hi! thanks for stopping by. I love comments, it is good to talk with each other eh?