Poem: Control


 Control

Child young
trust the folks
mostly
get a fright at
God loss
Keep control
for fear at bay
Control paramont
to not being 
noticed.

Teenager control
I fought
I yelled
God and I
battled
head to head 
feeling daily.

Young Adult Control
I made choices
I stayed away
I strayed
I fought.
God stayed constant.
I frowned .. A LOT.

Gradually.
Surely
God gained Control

Middle age
I fight
I struggle
I give way.
I learn.

And so control 
Is given away
And a peace 
a contentment
is found.
Less frowning.
less struggling
more surety
more security.

Control isn't mine
Control is where it belongs
God.



Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. 10 And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. 11 To him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen.  1 Peter 5.
------------------------
Kate Motaung hosts a word prompt every Friday.   She gives us a word and a whole whack of people write for about five minutes.  A free write on a Single Word Prompt and it's fascinating to see where it takes people and how they approach it.    THEN the most amazing thing happens, people take the time to read what each other wrote and be an encouragement to each other.   It's great!   It's no small wonder that we keep coming back.  Won't you join us?   Today the word is CONTROL.

Bless my dear friend Lori who put the graphic together for me.  WONDERFUL job.  :)  THANKS!

10 comments

  1. God's control is the only control, isn't it? Maturity in Him is shown so well in this poem. And the last few bits, (a peace, a contentment) touched me. The verse you chose? I noticed something I never had before - the placement of the reason we are to cast our anxieties on God. BECAUSE HE CARES FOR YOU. We don't give them to God to control but because he cares for us. And out of that care comes the hedges of control that protect us from the prowling lion.

    Thank you, Annette. This was exactly what I needed tonight, after this day. - Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, you got it. Ah... A good thing to have someone get it.

      Delete
  2. I wish I had learned the importance of allowing God to control my life in my teen and young adult years too. I am just beginning to really understand the joy of letting God have the reigns. Thanks for sharing on the #FMFlinkup. So glad to meet you this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know Mary... It's good to not fight so and be secure

      Delete
  3. Fellow poet!!! Glad to be a friend over at #fmfparty Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! You too.

      Delete
  4. Oh Annette, I loved your honesty in this! I had been seeing the same thoughts working out in my life recently, only when we surrender, then we see He is truly in control, and it brings peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol. This was a hard word prompt to do. So I'm glad my thoughts came through well.

      Delete
  5. I didn't know God when I was young. Didn't come to him until the age of 22. But I can see even before I knew Him that He was in control of my life. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! thanks for stopping by. I love comments, it is good to talk with each other eh?