Profile: Henry Hudson

I realized this morning that I neglected to do my blogging through the alphabet post.  This week we are on the letter H.  So Welcome one and all to blogging through the alphabet with Amanda and myself.   :)

When I mentioned it to my hubby he said "Hudson Bay or the Hudson Bay Company."

Since mentioning one without the other doesn't make a lot of sense to me so I figured doing a profile on Henry Hudson might work just as well.  :)   He made four sea-faring journeys.



Henry Hudson as was sea-faring explorer back in the 1600's.   He discovered Hudson Bay but actually thought he had discovered the Pacific Ocean at the time, this during his last voyage of 1610-1611.

 He was a rather indecisive leader and his crew talked of mutiny when they sailed into the bay and were stuck there for the winter.   When the ice broke in the spring and all the men wanted to return home to England, Hudson wanted to push on in his search for the North West passage.  His men mutinied, he was put over board in a rowboat along with his son and the injured men, and was never heard from again.

He was known for being an excellent navigator but a poor leader of men.  The men who mutinied against him were not convicted of the crime and found jobs on other boats.

He was a determined explorer.  He found new hunting regions, explored new sections of land and ocean and just at his ultimate quest... to find the NorthWest passage.

Numerous places are named after him.  Hudson Bay led to the Hudson Bay Company.  We have the Hudson River, Hudson Straits, Hudson Stone, Henry Hudson Bridge as well as various schools, streets and the like.  

 Source of image: Wikipedia.

A Net In Time Schooling Blogging Through The Alphabet Grab Button Code:
A Net In Time Schooling



16 comments

  1. We learned about him a few years ago while studying Canada. I found it interesting since I was lived along the Hudson River.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I learned something new about Henry Hudson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember learning about Henry Hudson in history class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was really interesting, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew about the Hudson Bay Company from a previous job I had, but the history, I had not looked into. This is a great post! Thank you for filling me in on what I missed earlier in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only ever knew about the Hudson Bay wool blankets, and the Hudson Bay Company from other history reads. Sad story, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What an explorer. I had not ever read anything on this man so this was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. History is fascinating. I wonder sometimes what would have happened if his men hadn't mutinied, what other things he might have discovered.

      Delete
  9. Love these posts. I wonder what happened to him and his son?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The hudson stone suggests they made it to land

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have the Hudson River. Man, that guy got around!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! thanks for stopping by. I love comments, it is good to talk with each other eh?