Abandon, can we let ourselves go?

As I was pondering this word this morning my heart was aching with the fear and panic a young mom Toronto must have been feeling.  Loading her kids in the car one at a time, comes out of the house with the second to find her car stolen.  Her four year old inside.    I could only just imagine the panic she would be feeling.

The youngster was found safe and sound an hour later...but that hour... wow... so hard for that mom I'm sure.

The relief...oh the utter relief she would have felt then eh?   To have your wee one back in your care, safe and sound.

All that was in my head as I thought about the word abandon.

Abandon is an middle English word that means to give up, reject, cast away and some such world.    It also has this meaning "to yield (oneself) without restraint or moderation; give (oneself) over to natural impulses, usually without self-control".

 I read that definition and I thought..hmm... if only more people could do this.. not in the "give yourself over to grief" or the "be stupid in your happiness"...but in the abandon yourself to the love of God.   To just revel in God's love for YOU his person, the one he has called according to his purposes, to let yourself go into the love.

I say this knowing that I find that difficult myself.....to just let go with the looseness of a child knowing their parent loves them and will keep them safe.   But wishing ... oh ... just wishing that I felt free to abandon myself to the love that God has for me.

What about you? 



 This is a five minute Friday post. the word prompt is brought to us by Miss Kate.  Today the word is AbandonWhat is Five Minute Friday?  Well it's a party of a group of like minded folks who gather on Friday to do a five minute free write around a singular word.  AND THEN we take the time to offer up encouragement to each other on this writing journey.  It's fun, though it's not always easy, but it is always good.   Come join us won't you?  You are always welcome.

6 comments

  1. I also find it hard to give myself over entirely to God, or choose him with abandon. But, sometimes IO get the inkling of what it is like. I liked your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is a difficult thing isn't it? our selves get in the way far too often.

      Delete
  2. Annette, what a scary, scary hour for that mom! I think about my own kids and some of the things that could have happened and I get scared. I really like how you shared the different definitions of ABANDON. and yes, I want to live my life in an abandoned, full-heart, completely committed love for God. It's such a slow work for me though, because I have to keep getting Self out of the way. :)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanne. I was so delighted when heard the child was found. the audacity of someone stealing a car with a child in though .. ACKK!!!

      But yes, giving ourselves over to God completely... a hard one.. a life long learning adventure.

      Delete
  3. It is so difficult to think of the word abandon when it related to abandoning yourself into God's hands but what a blessing to know He is ready, willing, and more than able to hold up us when we do. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's a challenge and it really shouldn't be.

      Delete

Hi! thanks for stopping by. I love comments, it is good to talk with each other eh?