C is for O Canada, a blogging through the alphabet post

Welcome to week "C" of blogging through the alphabet.  I am so happy you are joining us today.



Today I am going to talk to you about our national anthem "O Canada".   The C being the C from Canada or if you wish Chant National as it was originally known.  :)

Did you know that O Canada was originally called “Chant national”?   Our anthem was written by Sir Adolphe-Basile Routhier, in Quebec City, with musical composter Calixa Lavallee.   Originally written in French, it was first performed on June 24, 1880.

It was sung widely in French but the English versions varied widely for quite a few years, partly due to the translation from French into English, until the version written in 1908 by Robert Stanley Weir became popular.  It is very similar to the verses we use today.

"O Canada" was approved as our national anthem on March 15, 1967, but the current version wasn't officially approved until June 27, 1980 under the National Anthem Act.






Lyrics
O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land, glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee;
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

O Canada! Where pines and maples grow,
Great prairies spread and Lordly rivers flow!
How dear to us thy broad domain,
From East to Western sea!
The land of hope for all who toil,
The true North strong and free!
God keep our land, glorious and free.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!

O Canada! Beneath thy shining skies,
May Stalwart sons, and gentle maidens rise.
To keep thee steadfast thro' the years,
From East to Western sea.
Our own beloved native land,
Our true North strong and free!
God keep our land, glorious and free.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!

Ruler supreme, who hearest humble prayer,
Hold our Dominion, in thy loving care.
Help us to find, O God, in thee,
A lasting rich reward.
As waiting for the better day,
We ever stand on guard.
God keep our land, glorious and free.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!

I have to admit, most of the time we only sing the first verse, sometimes the second and very rarely the last two.  I don't know why that is, but it is what it is eh?  :)

But it's our national song and we love it.  It's easy to sing, rolls easily off the tongue, and inspires the lot of us to rise to our feet.  I'm assuming your national anthem helps you do that too!  :)



So what do you think? Would you like to join us? You are very welcome.

Rules:
1. Linking time is Tuesday through Sunday.
2. Family friendly posts on a variety of topics. If you aren't sure, ask one of us.
3. If it isn't family friendly, it will be removed. :)
4. Linking back to us would be great. Grabbing the button below might be the easiest way or you could link to this post.
5. If you need a hashtag, you can use #abcblogging
6. Visiting and commenting on others is always a great social thing to do. Let's other people know you are reading them, and encourages them to read and hopefully share your great posts.
7. HAVE FUN. That's the point you know? Have fun and share what's on your mind.

 
A Net In Time
Schooling

 

23 comments

  1. Our national Anthem, The Star Spangled Banner, has four verses as well. However, we only sing the first verse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i wonder why we do that as nations? The whole song speaks about who we are.. probably laziness.

      Delete
  2. I liked it when they played Canada's National Anthem during the Olympics when I was growing up, because I like the tune.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, thanks for sharing this! It will be very helpful to my daughter who is studying Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh good! :) Canada is a great place to study. :)

      Delete
  4. I like your national anthem. Ours is too hard to sing and everyone who sings it at a ball game thinks they need to sing it different. I wish America The Beautiful were ours. It's so much more what makes up America. :)

    Anyway, thank you for the information! I'd only heard bits and pieces of the first verse, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dana.. it's an easy tune isn't it? :) One of the joys of our national anthem.

      Delete
  5. My favorite song!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are so close to the Canadian border, our friends sing O Canada and joke about needing passports to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's the way it works now eh? if you are close to Ontario you should get your passport and come visit :)

      Delete
  7. I like hearing the Canadian national anthem since the tune is easily recognizable, even though until today, I only knew the first line of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love O Canada, such a great tune. I grew up with my Aunt singing it to me all the time and even today it pops in my head at odd times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TaMara and Kirsten... it is a great tune isn't it? It's a marching tune and I find they are always a draw in.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sharing. These are so interesting and I have always appreciated national anthems. - Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) some anthems are interesting to listen to. I remember listening to some of them at the Olympics and some tunes are very catchy. :)

      Delete
  10. Annette, I can tell that I'm going to learn more about Canada than I've ever known before! I agree with you, I like listening to the different anthems in Olympic years as well.

    Speaking of Canada: I picked up a new Janette & Laurel Oke Hogan book from the library the other day, a new one in the When Calls the Heart series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I read that series to, after my mom insisted I do so. And yes...you will learn more about this beloved land of mine. :)

      Delete
  11. I just found you-- this is really fun! Next week I'll try to participate, I love this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEAH you found me. :) And yes, it is fun. I look forward to seeing you next week! :)

      Delete
  12. Going back and adding the letters/posts I missed :) In our homeschool C is for Celebrations! http://untoadoption.org/a-celestial-celebration/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, it's nice that you are getting caught up. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! thanks for stopping by. I love comments, it is good to talk with each other eh?