question of the day: how long do yellow jacket's live?

We have a yellow jacket living in our house. He buzzed us while doing the dishes.
He got away.

My lad who is somewhat concerned about getting stung asked "how long do yellow jacket's live?" I said.. I have no clue, shall we look it up?

We learned that MOST of them only live for the summer BUT the queen hibernates over the winter and she is the one who chooses where the next years colony will live.

Source: backyard Brigade and other internet sources that confirmed what Backyard said. :)

2 comments

  1. I love these spontaneous nature study moments! My son once became inspired to look up wasps on YouTube as he was nursing a swollen hand after a wasp sting. *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for stopping in, I love these moments as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! thanks for stopping by. I love comments, it is good to talk with each other eh?