Back to Homeschooling

"but mommy! I want to play in the snow first! Do we have to homeschool first???"
Me: Yes.
"BUT I DON"T WANT TO!"

So.. we talked and worked things out. I told him how we're doing things different this year. That mommy is writing out a schedule of what we are doing and we'll work from the list. When the list is done.. homeschool is done for the day.

We read from our world history book and story book over breakfast

10 minute stories


He liked the story at breakfast and thought it funny how the dad didn't get what he wanted because the fish helped the girl.

World History

Over the holidays we got into the history of vikings. He's really enjoying learning about them.

and then I fascinated him with this.



Always good to intrigue a child. :) Found using homeschool freebie of the day.

Then off to do reflex math. I like how they emphasize speed in proficiency and they have excellent customer service. The lad is finding it difficult to maintain the required focus though and there are times when I want to make it easier for him, but that's just the mommy rescuer part of me. He got up to 8620 feet today...not a bad score. he quit because bathroom breaks were required. :) He got back into it and did better this time round. He did a variety of games and its good to see how he is improving in his math skills. :) He likes ninja stars, balloon race and the egyptian conniption.

We were going to do some exercises from the super science book but we reworked those plans. One lad was PROFOUNDLY disappointed at the thought of doing science and art together. he wanted to do some hands on science. So I wracked my brain trying to figure something out that we've studied recently and came up on gems digging kit I got a while back. So we dug up gems. There were supposed to be 8 in the kit.. we got about 13 stones/gems all told. We talked about gems and how they are made, but mostly we dug stones up and had a good time talking and working together.



Sight words: yes, you, are, please. it was quite pleasing to me to see him sounding out the word please. He studied it and worked it out. he did the same for "are". Very neat!

We did lesson seven out of First Language Lessons, Levels 1&2



We learned about common nouns and proper nouns. :)

Word of the day "abandon". Sentence he came up with "the jail in fable was abandoned once the guards are beaten."

We did listening skills Pg 3. he had to pay close attention to where each of the drivers had to go to get the answers correct.


The Complete book of Numbers and Counting, pp 164-165.


A dot to dot 1-50 and learning the place values of 50-59. Once he figured out the code for doing place values he said "mommy, this is easy!".

Our animal of the day was the ermine.
in case you want to know about the picture. Ermines eat insects in some areas of the world. The lad "This brown ermine is hunting in the summer time. He is sneaking up on a centipede who is going home to his family. Then the ermine will gobble all of them up."

I asked him if he liked working from a list.
the answer was a resounding YES! So a list we'll continue to do. :)

3 comments

  1. We've had equal success with using a list...I used to think a list was too confining, but the kiddos like knowing upfront what is expected of them and when they are "done." Thank you for sharing, sounds like you had a big success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a notebook w/ a simple list in it of what needs to be done each day. I have added a date stamp, you know the kind that you roll the numbers to get the date you want. My son likes to stamp the item we finished. I get my dates and he gets his item marked off. If he like the list think about adding a stamp for him to use. Just a thought. Sounded like you had a great day.

    Lil Momma
    Working hard at improving my son’s reading fluency by using word play games. So far it is working!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you, it's working well to use a list. :)

    I like the idea of a stamp... good idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! thanks for stopping by. I love comments, it is good to talk with each other eh?